Visitor Counter

web stats hits

There is a God and his name is Richie

There is a God and his name is Richie

Tuesday 27 January 2009

Chapter Five

Erin placed two mugs of fresh hot coffee down on the battered, scarred, wooden table and sat down.

Richie took his coffee and put it out of her reach.

She smiled, wanly, “Would you believe I am not normally like this? In fact I’ve never been this much of a klutz in all my life.”

“Must be meeting me then.” he said, softly as he blew on the hot drink to cool it slightly.

She smiled, her eyes widening slightly at the sight of his full lips pursed, blowing cool air across his coffee. She shook her head to clear any impending naughty thoughts about her soon to be ex employer and turned to her own drink.

“Must be.” she said quietly before taking a sip of the heavenly brew. It was a hazelnut cinnamon blend and tasted absolutely divine on her tongue.

“Oh god that’s good.” she said, placing the mug down on the table.

“It’s my own blend.”

“You blend your own coffee?” she asked, intrigued.

“God no,” he laughed, a rich smoky laugh, ”No, I have someone back home make it up for me. I was thinking of marketing it but I’ve been told it’s an acquired taste.”

“My ex said the same about me.” Erin said without thinking, “Oh god sorry, forget I said that.” she uttered, as she looked at him.

Richie raised an eyebrow.

“I just meant that I have these quirks about me that he said not everyone would appreciate.. And…oh god, is this day never going to end?” with an embarrassed sigh she laid her head down on the table, narrowly missing her own mug of coffee, and groaned, “Someone just shoot me now”.

Richie looked at her for the longest time, feeling the ghost of a smile playing with his lips, his mouth twitched as he tried to keep it in but it was just too much. He tipped his head back and let out a huge belly laugh.

Erin just groaned further and covered her head with her hands, feeling the chignon start to come loose. She deftly pulled the pins out and ran her hands through her tired scalp, hoping her hair would completely cover her red face.

Richie could feel tears rolling down his face as he got, what is commonly referred to as ‘The Giggles‘, and once he’d started he found he couldn’t stop.

Erin lifted her head off the table and watched, bemused, as the handsome man across from her, with the gorgeous eyes but quick temper, was reduced to a child. She looked at him with such a look of puzzlement that it set him off again on a wave of hysterical laughter.

Finally, when he was able to calm down enough to speak, he looked at her and said simply “Welcome to the Mad House.”

“You’re keeping me on?”

“Hell yes darlin, I haven’t had that much fun in ages.” he grinned, wondering just what the hell he was in for letting her stay, “On one condition though. Don’t wear your hair up, let it loose. It suits you more.,” and looking at her bemused face, he got up, “And now if you will excuse me I really need to get back to some writing, or this day’ll just go to shit. The bedrooms and bathroom are on the third floor. Mine’s the untidy one. My study is on the second floor and the lounge is on the first floor. These houses may be old and exclusive but they are laid out in a really shit way.” he finished, walking out of the kitchen, leaving her sat there drinking coffee and wondering if she should order the straight jacket now, or wait a bit.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh, the real Richie finally came out!
    More please!!! I'm addicted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God, that was funny. I had to smile, picturing Richie in a fit of giggles :)

    ~ Hath

    ReplyDelete